Indie Music Worth Hearing

Discussion group on What Indie Artists Are You Listening To (besides your own music). Post other Indie Artist's Music you are listening to with comments and the links to their music. Post your streaming lists, too.
Forum rules
Please try to balance the number of your personal music posts to answering and commenting on some of the other member's posts. This will help the forum to be equally balanced for everyone. No ads allowed.
Revolver323
1st Tier Music Contributor
1st Tier Music Contributor

Indie Music Worth Hearing

Post by Revolver323 »

Hey everyone! I'm Dave Molter, an indie artist based in Pittsburgh, PA. I've discovered a wealth of indie artists whose music I love and think you should hear! Some are my Pittsburgh friends. Other are bit more well known but not what I would call "mainstream." They're listed below in no particular order. Enjoy!

Bill Toms and Hard Rain www.billtoms.com . Bill, a fellow Pittsburgher, is a soul shouter who combines hard-edged rock with old-school soul. His lyrics are thoughtful and timely and there's en energy to his studio work that captures the hard edge of his live performances. Excellent musicianship and killer horns from The Soulville Horns. Check out Bill's latest CD, "Keep Movin' On," and his excellent "Live" CD, captured two years ago at Pittsburgh's Club Cafe.

Danny Gochnour's www.dannygochnour.com debut CD is not what you might expect from the guitarist for Pittsburgh's Joe Grushecky and the Houserockers. "The Despair of Summer" is a concept album that captures a range of emotions, from joy ("Crazy Linda J") and heartbreak ("The Sound of Us Breaking") to contemplative thought on the state of America in the 21st Century ("The American Dream") as well as musings on what one might have accomplished in life ("Better Things to Do.") Danny's also a world class guitarist comfortable in any style. But this is not a "guitar album," which was a conscious decision on his part. I'm prod to have had him play on my latest CD!

Shinyribs http://shinyribs.org/ from Austin, Texas, defies being categorized. Kevin Russell and his band of misfit minstrels tackle all genres with ease and humor. A dynamite rhythm section, horns and two very soulful and beautiful female singers (The Shiny Soul Sisters) compliment Russell's sometimes wacky songs. Live shows are very entertaining thanks to Russel's stage antics and often humorous lyrics. Song styles range from Tex-Mex to swamp rock, reggae and downright Muscle Shoals soul. Do yourself a favor and seek out the band's appearance on PBS's "Austin City Limits." It's Shinyribs in a nutshell. If you don't love it, you ain't got no soul at all!

"The LIckerish Quartert" Imageis a trio of former Jellyfish Members. Roger Manning, Eric Dover and Tim Smith produce music that is simultaneously accessible and over the top. Echos of the Beatles, Queen, 80s power pop and plain old rock can be found in their songs. Production is layered and excellent. Check out their two debut releases, Threesome, Vols.1 & 2.

The Bros. Landreth https://www.thebroslandreth.com/ come from Canada and are worth a lengthy trip through their rather limited catalog. Guitarist Joey and bassist Dave make up the core of the band, which has a rotating cast of sidemen, but it's Joey who provides the soul and spark. His slide guitar playing is excellent and of a style unlike any I've ever heard. His soulful voice is affecting, and his songs are often poignant reflections anyone can relate to, but often they are blues and pop-based romps that are extremely catchy. Check the catalog -- Joey also has a couple of solo releases and find them on Youtube to see just what you've been missing.